Annalise takes on a tough case defending a minor who fatally shoots his police officer father. Meanwhile, Annalise and Sam continue to argue over his relationship with Lila, and Wes and Rebecca begin to question Annalise’s motives. In flash-forwards, we learn more about Laurel’s relationship with Frank and why he was calling her the night of Sam’s death.
Annalise confronts Sam about sleeping with Lila. He admits that he slept with her a few times over the summer but didn't tell Annalise because he was afraid she'd think that he killed Lila. Annalise asks Nate to see if Sam's alibi for the day of Lila's murder checks out, and although he finds that it doesn't, he lies and tells Annalise that Sam was at Yale the entire time. However, after Bonnie tells Nate's boss that he was looking into Sam's alibi in order to get Rebecca's confession tape, Nate loses his job and blames Annalise for it, telling her the truth about Sam's alibi. Annalise asks Sam where he was the night Lila died, and he finally admits that she called him sounding extremely upset so he drove back to see her.
Meanwhile, Wes tries to get Annalise to submit Lila's phone into evidence, but she refuses, afraid that someone will connect the penis picture on the phone to Sam. She has Sam give Rebecca a fake psych exam to see if she knows who "Mr. Darcy" really is. During the exam, Rebecca reveals that Lila was helping her deal drugs and left her phone at Rebecca's house because she wanted to stop. Annalise records the entire thing, and at the end, she and Sam conclude that Rebecca doesn't know who Sam is. However, after her exam, Rebecca asks to use the bathroom, and in there, she notices that the wallpaper of the bathroom is the same as the wallpaper in the background of Mr. Darcy's penis picture on Lila's phone. After, Wes finds her preparing to run away, and she tells him that they can't trust Annalise.
The flash-forward shows Frank calling Laurel, who answers it in order to solidify their alibi. The call reveals that they're fighting, and that Laurel was sleeping with Frank while dating Kan.
Notes and Trivia
- This episode scored 9.97 million viewers.
- Laurel and Kan sleep together for the first time (in the Legal Aid office)
- Frank and Laurel kiss for the first time (at the Keating House).
- Laurel, Connor, Michaela and Wes have been carrying Sam’s body down into a small valley, where they hide themselves besides a tree. Just as they have caught their breaths, Laurel’s phone begins to ring with Frank’s name and photo of him in bed flashing up. Michaela sees straight away and accuses Laurel of telling Frank everything, even though the group had all been vocal with not telling another about Sam’s murder. Laurel tells Michaela that she hasn’t while also informs her (and the group) that she had slept with Frank but Michaela doesn’t believe her. They have a brief argument about telling or not telling the truth to one another. “Why would I tell you? We’re not friends.”
- We’re Not Friends - Laurel Castillo
- Slowed Down - Visuals
- Volatile Times (Us Version) - IAMX
This is a gallery of photographic stills released to promote the episode.