The coroner is going over the body in the morgue, while Annalise meets with Nate in the parking garage and Frank continues to track down Laurel before waiting in her apartment for her. Once she arrives back, Laurel gives the excuse that her phone died. It turns out the victim of the car crash is not Bonnie, but District Attorney Denver. Michaela and Asher are still hashing out their breakup as Asher packs his things and prepares to move out of their apartment. Asher doesn’t believe Michaela regrets cheating on him and calls her evil. At the District Attorney's Office, the prosecutor (Ronald Miller) Bonnie previously tried to flirt with to get the DA’s office to dismiss Isaac’s case is now in charge. He’s visibly shaken by Denver's death and urges them all to give full cooperation to the FBI, and he takes a moment to honor Denver. Back at the hotel, Annalise has gathered the Keating 4 to plan next steps. Oliver worries that they should all be in hiding, not to mention Simon won’t stop texting him about his whistleblower deal because he wants to hear from Annalise. But first, Annalise lays down an ultimatum: “No one else is dying. All we have is each other, and so we have to work to protect each other. That’s what we’re going to do.”
Laurel gets a call from her father — he wants to know where her mother is, and Laurel was the last person to be seen with her. Jorge is with Christopher, using the baby as collateral. He’s convinced his daughter did something to hurt her mother. Laurel thinks her mom is probably passed out on a plane back to Paris. But the remaining Keating 4 worry that she may not be telling them everything since she was the one to bring a loaded gun to an office party. Laurel admits to Annalise and Frank that she told her mother she should kill herself. Her father wants them to doubt her, and his plan is working. But first, the FBI wants to talk to her because she’s also the last person who was seen with Denver alive. Frank heads off to New York to look for Sandrine Castillo, while Michaela and Oliver go to visit Simon at the hospital and Annalise accompanies Laurel to the FBI. Meanwhile, Ronald at the D.A.'s office asks Bonnie why the FBI is meeting with her intern and makes a sexist joke about pregnant women and hormones. He then apologies for being a “frat boy” and buries the hatchet with Bonnie. At the hospital, Simon keeps demanding to see Annalise, but Michaela stalls by saying Annalise is busy finalizing his deal with the feds. Simon also wants Oliver to leave, which he does.
Nate is doing his own sleuthing and finds a decades-old case listed as active in Denver's database. He tells the police that they’re looking into old cases to find people with grudges against Denver and goes to an old evidence locker. There is something in the locker, despite the case being supposedly closed for decades. At the precinct, Laurel and Annalise grill the FBI about her being brought in for questioning, but Laurel lies and says she thought the meeting with Denver was about her maternity leave, but that Denver just wanted to talk about her father. She tells the FBI she was surprised they knew each other and says she hasn’t spoken with her father recently. Back at the hotel, Laurel says she told the FBI enough to make them investigate her father and lay the groundwork for Simon to play whistleblower. Nate arrives and reveals Denver’s secret locker. He found Dominick's phone in there — the one Laurel gave him at their last meeting. But he also found the hard drive. Now comes the hard part — finding the illegal files on it. And only Oliver can search for them. Connor is still afraid this is going to end with them all in jail, which will nullify the hard work they did with the class action and make it impossible to help all the clients re-try their cases. Annalise dismisses his fears and urges him to re-apply to law school — that’s why she gave him a shout-out on the steps of the Supreme Court.
While Oliver comes up short searching the files, Michaela is still watching over Simon at the hospital. Simon notices that there is something wrong but Michaela dodges and tells him she’s visibly upset because of her breakup, but he sees through her and realizes they don’t have the files. He wants proof of them or he will go to the police and tell them the truth. Michaela threateningly tells him that would be a mistake. Back at the hotel, Oliver continues to find nothing particularly interesting. They need help to find the proof they need in a timely manner. Naturally, that leads Annalise to approach Tegan at Caplan & Gold and admit that they have the files. She wants Tegan to tell her where the illegal files are and even reminds her she could be charged as a co-conspirator on any of Jorge's current illegal dealings. Annalise tells Tegan that Jorge killed the district attorney and that she might be next, but Tegan kicks her out of the office. Michaela intercepts Annalise in the parking lot. She wants to call ICE and get Simon deported. Annalise tells her that's not who they are, but Michaela insists it is, so Annalise lays into her for trying to be like her and warns, "The path you’re on nearly got me killed, and you're not me." Nate admits to Bonnie that in Denver’s locker, he also found files Denver was keeping on all of them. He tells her he already destroyed them.
Frank gets back and admits to Laurel that he went to the hotel and could find no trace of her mother. He wants her to tell him if she did something, but she lashes out and reminds him he's the sociopath in the relationship. Asher is swiping on a dating app and whining, so Frank tells him he should just forgive Michaela. Connor then tells the entire group that he didn’t drop out of law school, he flunked out. He was ashamed to tell them the truth, which earns him a hug from Oliver. Annalise arrives and calls Jorge — she has an ultimatum for him and tells him they have the hard drive. Later, Annalise meets Jorge and brings him the drive. She tells him they don’t have copies, and he can have it in exchange for signing a paper that recants his testimony against Laurel, thereby granting her full custody of Christopher. Jorge doesn’t want to do it because he’s still convinced Laurel did something to her mother. This is Annalise’s offer — a truce: "Sign the contract or go to prison for the rest of your life." Jorge appears reluctant to agree, however, as Annalise stole Laurel from him and turned her against him. But Annalise comes right back with the reminder that he took Wes from her. He can't be the great father he claims to be and kill the love of his daughter’s life and lock her in a psych ward. Annalise tells him it’s too late; he’s lost Laurel and should just sign the paper and let her go.
Laurel is at the hospital waiting to take Christopher home. Jorge, who’s also there, is very emotional — he wants to say goodbye, but Laurel denies his request. Laurel is overcome to see her baby but also overwhelmed by the instructions from the nurse, and she looks to Frank for reassurance. Social services will make a home visit for the baby in a month to make sure everything is aboveboard. Before Laurel goes, Jorge tries to ask once again where her mother is. She says she doesn’t know and doesn’t care — both Jorge and Sandrine are dead to her. Frank calls Annalise to let her know they have the baby, and she advises that they get out of there. As Jorge is leaving the hospital, he is intercepted and arrested by the FBI. Back at the precinct, the detective tells Tegan that he’s in custody. Now that we flash back to her meeting with Annalise at Caplan & Gold, we see the continuation of their conversation. While ordering Annalise to get out and reading off legal code citations, Tegan also wrote on a piece of paper, “I’m in.” She turned whistleblower to the FBI in exchange for full immunity and is listed as Jane Doe in the case paperwork, so she can go back to Caplan & Gold and her colleagues will be none the wiser.
The Keating 4 watch the news at Bonnie's House — Jorge has been arrested for wire-tapping, bribery, tax evasion, and first-degree murder. They worry Simon will see this news, but Annalise assures them the D.A. is dropping all charges against him. Except it’s too late; Michaela already took care of him. Just like she suggested, she called ICE and made an anonymous tip. Simon was carted off to a new facility managed by the Department of Homeland Security. Michaela tells Annalise she was the only who had the "balls" to step up and keep them safe because Simon would’ve held this over their heads. Annalise once again accuses her of trying to become like her, and she insists, no, "I’ve become me." Annalise gets a call from Nate, and he’s surprised her phone isn’t blowing up due to the good news. The Supreme Court has ruled in Lahey v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and Annalise won. This is a huge victory for her, the Keating 4, and the reformation of the criminal justice system. The whole gang gets emotional on Bonnie’s couch as the news declares Annalise "a legal powerhouse on a national level."
Later, Laurel is sleeping on Bonnie's couch, having nightmares about her last conversation with her mother and her father’s accusations. She wakes up to hear the baby crying, but Bonnie is tending to him. She tells Laurel she can stay there as long as she wants. Frank is in a button-down to go to the grocery store. Annalise then appears on a public radio show talking about her class action victory. She talks about second chances and how even the most vilified can turn their lives around. She hopes the case makes everyone work harder to see the good inside of people. And as for what’s next, the interviewer asks, she doesn’t know. While this was happening, Frank wasn’t going to the store; he's going to a prospective student tour at Middleton — seemingly trying to get one of those second chances Annalise mentioned. Connor is also seeking a second chance, filling out an application for law school and writing of how his work on the class action reminded him why he wanted to be a lawyer. Michaela shows up at the apartment, worried Connor also thinks she’s evil, but he astutely states that they’re all evil sometimes. She helps him with his application.
Asher is later moving into Wes’ old place now that Laurel moved out and into Bonnie's place due to social services. Asher's deciding how to make the apartment more cheery and promises to pay Oliver back for helping with the move-in deposits. Oliver puts the cherry on top of this feel-good moment by asking Asher to be his best man. Bonnie is also finding new hope, swiping on a dating app at work and matching with Ronald who’s taken over for Denver. He looks at their match in his pocket, and they smile knowing smiles at each other. Back in his office, Nate still has the files he said he destroyed and begins to look through them. He looks at Bonnie’s criminal record and finds a tantalizing note. “Child alive?” it reads. Back at the university, a boy named Gabriel Maddox, also joining the Middleton prospective student tour. Frank recognizes the name. We see Jorge looking devastated behind bars, while Annalise tells Laurel to go take a shower while she watches Christopher. Laurel has deep scratches and cuts on her arms — so there’s definitely more to her meeting with her mother that she’s been telling everyone. Annalise sings to Christopher the same song that her mother sang to her when she was little, while Frank makes a phone call to an unknown party. “Good times didn’t last too long,” he says. “Her kid is here.” Indicating Gabriel.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- There will be another body revealed.
- The cliffhanger will be unexpected and not as dark as others.
- This is the first season finale of the series that aired before the show was renewed for another season.
- Following his initial guest appearance in the episode, actor Rome Flynn (Gabriel Maddox) was promoted to series regular for the following season.
- The cafe which Frank walks out off when taking to Bonnie on the phone is the one which is based on the one in Los Angeles, where the show is filmed.
- The documents which Oliver reads on the hard drive about Antares Technologies state that the reports are for the 2018 period. This is impossible as the show's Timeline is currently around July 2016.
- The hospital where Jorge hands over Christopher Castillo to Laurel is called the Succor Hospital, not the same hospital which has been used commonly this season, St. Edith's Hospital.
- The files which Nate obtained from Todd Denver's locker contained files on the Keating 4 and their associates. The one on Bonnie had news clippings, some of which had whole paragraphs repeated.
- The song which Annalise sang to Christopher Castillo at the end of the episode was the same one which her mother sang to her when she was a girl, and the same song which her and her mother, Ophelia, sang in "I'm Going Away". This song is called "Shoo Turkey" by Bessie Jones.
- Sandrine Castillo is mentioned by Jorge Castillo. She was last seen in "The Day Before He Died".
- Caplan & Gold is seen for the first time since "Everything We Did Was For Nothing".
- Olivia Pope is mentioned by the news anchor. She was last seen in "Lahey v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania".
- Emily Sinclair and the Night at the Hapstall Mansion are mentioned by Laurel Castillo. They were last seen in "What Did We Do?" and "What Happened to You, Annalise?" respectively.
- Todd Denver is revealed to be the person who died in the car accident which was orchestrated by Jorge Castillo, not Bonnie.
- Laurel gets custody of her son and moves into Bonnie's House.
- Tegan Price goes to the police and gives them evidence against Jorge as she was afraid that she was next after Denver.
- Laurel's mother, Sandrine Castillo's location remains unknown but by the scratches on Laurel's arm, it is suggested that they were in some sort of fight. It is unknown whether Laurel killed her mother or not.
- Asher and Michaela officially break up. Asher then moves out and into Wes' Apartment.
- Annalise wins her class action lawsuit. President Mellie Grant and Olivia Pope were mentioned on TV.
- Nate retrieves the hard drive from Denver's storage locker along with files on Annalise's associates. Bonnie's file stated that her child was alive.
- Frank enrolls in Middleton University where he finds another student who is hinted to be Bonnie's son, Gabriel Maddox.
- Laurel unknowingly names Annalise as Christopher's godmother.
- When Annalise was talking to the others, she said "No one else is dying" after the others started talking about what Jorge might do to them.
- "No One Else is Dying." - Annalise Keating
Behind the ScenesEdit
- ↑ https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/03/final-adjusted-tv-ratings-for-thursday_16.html
- ↑ https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/02/how-to-get-away-with-murder-episode-415.html#disqus_thread
- ↑ http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/08/spoiler-room-blindspot-murder-once-upon-time/
- ↑ http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/08/spoiler-room-blindspot-murder-once-upon-time/
- ↑ https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/how-get-away-murder-season-4-finale-cliffhanger-explained-1094675
- ↑ https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/05/how-to-get-away-with-murder-renewed-for.html
- ↑ https://deadline.com/2018/06/how-to-get-away-with-murder-rome-flynn-upped-series-regular-season-5-abc-drama-gabriel-maddox-1202405972/
- ↑ https://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-gioia-los-angeles