"Live. Live. Live." is the 53rd episode of How to Get Away with Murder.
At the party at Tegan’s law firm, where Oliver told Laurel, Asher and Michaela, “Annalise knows everything.” He then realized they were panic-stricken and bloody, and screamed as he saw what was presumably a body on the floor. The episode then went back to 24 hours earlier, with Connor slamming Oliver for his secret-keeping and confronting Laurel for leaving him in the dark. Completely against their plans, Connor wanted to tell Annalise what was going on. When he blasted Frank, Frank started strangling him. Connor cried, “I just want us all to be safe. Why is that so hard to understand?” Laurel said he didn’t have to help, but just “do nothing.” He said he’d now be going to the party and would call Annalise and “pull the plug” if anything starts going wrong.
Annalise found Bonnie at her door, where Bonnie apologized for her stunt with Isaac. Annalise told Bonnie, “I can’t keep forgiving you for all the sick things you do.” Bonnie confessed her love and said Annalise would “need her,” but Annalise demanded she leave or she’d call the police. Bonnie the went to Nate for an emergency “Annalise Anonymous” session. At the same time, Isaac lashed out at Jacqueline for getting involved with Annalise. He thought she was just jealous of their closeness.
At the party the next night, Michaela needed to get Tegan’s key card to move forward with the plan, Oliver and Connor continued to argue and Laurel nervously waited at the dorm while Frank planted files on Simon’s home computer. Separately, both Laurel and Annalise tormented themselves by thinking about everything that was gone on. Annalise then went to Isaac, who apologized for Jacqueline’s meddling and said he was willing to be reported. She said she wouldn’t do that because “I want to keep seeing you.” He, however, said he couldn’t be her therapist because she knows too much about him. She in turn said their similar problems are why he needs to “help” her.
At the office party, Simon apologized to Oliver for always being mean to Connor and confessed his feelings for Ollie. Oliver then told Connor, Michaela and Asher that they couldn’t go forward with framing him as the whistleblower. But Michaela insisted, “We’re not quitting.” Laurel then showed up, demanding no one “bail.” So Connor, still against it all, called Annalise, telling her Laurel’s father had Wes killed, and now the group was planning to bankrupt his company and frame Simon.
Michaela got Tegan’s purse, passed the key card to Asher, who gave it to Laurel and Oliver to get into the server room. But Oliver didn’t know which of the particular servers had the files they needed, costing them time. They seemingly got the files, but with their five-minute window gone, Asher and Laurel instructed Oliver to plant the key card on Simon instead of slipping it back in Tegan’s purse. As Oliver searched for Simon, Connor confessed to Oliver that he told Annalise, who called Laurel. The episode’s timeline then caught up to the beginning, with Oliver going to a stunned Laurel, Asher and Michaela, where Simon lay bleeding and seemingly dead.
The show then flashed back to show what happened minutes prior, with Simon overhearing Laurel, Asher and Michaela talking about planting the key card on him. Laurel said she’d pay him to keep quiet, but he wrestled away her pocketbook, finding a gun. As they yelled at him to put it down, it accidentally went off, striking him in the head. They panicked over what to do with the weapon and whether anyone would believe it was an accident. That’s when Oliver arrived and the timeline caught up again. Michaela ordered Laurel to leave, so he dad wouldn’t know she was involved in what happened. She then wiped prints off the gun and put it next to the body. Oliver fruitlessly did CPR as Asher called 911, saying his friend shot himself. Michaela then went back to the party room, covered in blood and screaming for help.
Annalise called Frank, ripping him for letting Laurel go ahead with their scheme. When she arrived home, she didn’t notice a drop of blood outside the elevator, but then heard a woman crying out. The episode then flashed back again, to Laurel leaving Michaela and Asher. She was supposed to go home, but when she listened to Annalise’s voicemail, instructing her to come to her hotel, she went there instead. Laurel started bleeding down there, and a flashback revealed that when she stopped Frank from choking Connor the night before, Frank accidentally elbowed her stomach. Laurel was now stuck in the elevator as the pain kicked in and had no service to call 911. Annalise then found her unconscious in the elevator.
A 911 operator guided Annalise as she got the baby out and cut the umbilical cord, but the baby, born two months early, wasn’t breathing, so she had to do CPR, crying, “Live, live, live.” At the same time, Simon was in surgery while police arrested Asher. Connor was outside Laurel’s apartment and on the phone with Michaela, panicking over everything but unaware that Dominic was listening from around the corner. The finale ended with the baby starting to cry.
Notes and Trivia Edit
- As of now, this episode is considered to have the most grueling and graphic moments out of the entire series.
- The performances given by Viola Davis, Karla Souza, and Aja Naomi King have been universally praised by critics this season, especially this episode.
- This is the only mid-season finale to not have all the flash-forwards from the previous episodes shown in the same one. The moments that show the hospital and Bonnie investigating what happened will be shown in Episode 9.
- This was later explained by executive producer Peter Nowalk that because they were only given eight episodes during the 2017 period, they were only able to fit a limited amount of content, meaning that they couldn't get the show up to the point where the present events had caught up with the flash-forwards. He later said that the flash-forwards would all be explained in episode 9, called "He's Dead".
- The graphic scene involving Laurel giving birth in the elevator wasn't initially supposed to be as detailed or as long. According to Nowalk, Karla Souza was "in the moment" and they thought it fitting to allow her to continue the scene.
- In an interview, Nowalk claimed that there was a slight connection to the storyline where Simon accidentally shoots himself and Nowalk wanting to make a point that there should be a tighter leash on guns.
- Annalise Keating's hotel room at the Easton Hotel is located on the 11th floor and the room number of her room is "1106."
- While Laurel Castillo is giving birth in the elevator, Annalise mentions that she is only 7 months pregnant.
- This episode takes place on April 21, 2018, and concludes on April 22, 2018. This was stated in the following episode, "He's Dead" when Laurel's test results came back.
- Rebecca Sutter is mentioned by Connor Walsh. She was last seen in "It's Time to Move On".
- Attorney General of Pennsylvania Chase is mentioned by Bonnie Winterbottom. He was last seen in "Nobody Roots for Goliath".
- The first half of the events that have been shown involving the Death of Simon Drake came together to partially reveal what happened that night.
- Although the baby's whereabouts are not revealed, his birth is shown, but doesn't go well as Annalise had to try and get him to resuscitate him. It is still unknown if he lived or not.
- The crime scene in "Was She Ever Good at Her Job?" is revealed to have been a confrontation that turned deadly involving Laurel, Michaela and Asher witnessing Simon accidentally shoot himself.
- The title of the episode is repeated several times by Annalise Keating when she is doing chest compressions to encourage breathing on Laurel's newly born son.
- Live. Live. Live. - Annalise Keating
|"A Murmur. A Sign"||Algiers||Annalise makes her way up to her apartment she finds Bonnie outside who confesses her revenge plan; Isaac yells at Jacqueline for interfering in his life; Bonnie tries to plead her innocence and love to Annalise; Isaac accuses Jacqueline of still being in love with him; Annalise tells Bonnie she's scared of her.|
|"Iron"||Woodkid||Laurel nervously waits for others to report in; Frank breaks into Simon's apartment and uploads incriminating files to his computer; As she works on her case, Annalise has trouble getting Bonnie's words out her head; Laurel has trouble getting Connor's words out her head; Laurel gets a phone call; Annalise leaves her apartment; Bonnie shows up at Nate's and asks for one of their AA meetings.|
|"Mile Deep Hollow"||IAMX||Montage as the group enact this plan; Annalise offers her help to Laurel; Connor confesses to Oliver that told Annalise everything; Oliver searches for Simon, only to find him bleeding and with the group.|
|"I'm in Love Tonight (Pye Corner Audio Rework)"||TOYDRUM||Laurel listens to Annalise's voice message then heads to her apartment; As she gets on the lift to head to Annalise's room she begins to unnoticeably bleed.|
|"Doomed"||Moses Sumney||Annalise performs CPR on Laurel's baby; Doctors continue to work on Simon when he begins to flatline; Annalise pleads with the baby to live when he begins to cry out.|
Behind the ScenesEdit
- ↑ https://www.spoilertv.com/2017/11/final-adjusted-tv-ratings-for-thursday_17.html
- ↑ https://www.spoilertv.com/2017/10/how-to-get-away-with-murder-episode-408.html
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/how-to-get-away-with-murder-season-4-winter-finale-laurel-baby-asher-arrest-1202616491/
- ↑ File:409Date.png