Madigan was born in Southside, Chicago, Illinois, the daughter of John J. Madigan (1918–2012), a well-known journalist who gave political commentary on shows such as Meet the Press and Face the Nation, and worked for Newsweek. He interviewed a range of political figures, from Richard Nixon to Martin Luther King, Jr., and hosted his own show with WBBM (AM). Her mother was Dolores (née Hanlon; 1921–92), an administrative assistant and amateur actress who performed in community theatre. She has two brothers: Jack and Jim. Madigan attended Catholic schools and performed in school plays. In the 1960s, she studied piano at the Chicago Conservatory of Music, and went on to graduate from Marquette University with a degree in philosophy. She moved to Los Angeles in 1974. Madigan later studied acting at the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute.
Madigan has been married to actor Ed Harris since November 21, 1983. They have one daughter, Lily Dolores Harris (born May 3, 1993). Madigan and Harris have been frequent collaborators over the course of their careers.
- ↑ http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-07/news/ct-met-john-madigan-obit-20120307_1_bobby-kennedy-wbbm-newsradio-journalism
- ↑ http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-09-15/news/9203240266_1_john-j-madigan-auntie-mame-hildegarde
- ↑ http://www.theodysseyonline.com/marquette/did-know-they-went-marquette/111698
- ↑ http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/classichollywood/la-ca-cm-classic-hollywood-amy-madigan-20150712-story.html
- ↑ http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1985-04-28/entertainment/0290280099_1_amy-madigan-alamo-bay-beer
- ↑ http://www.lifetimetv.co.uk/biography/biography-ed-harris